Elon Musk says Twitter takeover ‘temporarily on hold’ following spam/fake account calculations
Elon Musk has said his Twitter takeover deal is “temporarily on hold” pending details supporting calculations that spam/fake accounts represent less than 5% of users using the service.
Twitter announced last month that it had accepted a $44 billion buyout offer from Musk, who pledged to remove spam bots from the platform as well as to loosen content moderation and to improve Twitter’s verification system to authenticate genuine users.
“Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users,” said Musk in a tweet on Friday, linking to a recent story from Reuters, which details how Twitter estimated in a filing on Monday that false or spam accounts represented fewer than 5% of its monetizable daily active users during the first quarter.
Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of usershttps://t.co/Y2t0QMuuyn
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 13, 2022
We are updating this story.
Follow @TheApplePost on Twitter for the latest coverage and analysis on all things Apple. Read the day’s latest stories and stay on top of the latest Apple news, iPhone leaks and Mac rumors with the theapplepost.com app – available from the App Store.