Apple’s flagship store located in Hong Kong’s International Finance Centre mall was sent into panic on Friday as a Faulty iPhone battery caught fire leaving two Apple Store employees in hospital with suspected smoke inhalation.
According to the South China Morning Post, Apple Store employees were able to extinguish “the source of the smoke” before emergency services arrived shortly after 12.07pm on Friday afternoon. It’s believed the two employees were performing a routine battery replacement at the time of the fire.
It’s currently unclear as to what model iPhone caused the fire, however an initial police investigation revealed “nothing suspicious”.
The Apple Post reported in January that an overheating iPhone 6S Plus battery sparked a mass evacuation of an Apple Store in the Swiss city of Zurich, leaving a store employee with minor burns and six others requiring medical attention.
Apple has acknowledged the “minor incident” in Hong Kong, reporting that the store quickly resumed normal operations and no customers were affected.