An overheating iPhone 6S Plus battery sparked a mass evacuation of an Apple Store in the Swiss city of Zurich on Tuesday, leaving a store employee with minor burns and six others requiring medical attention for suspected smoke inhalation.
As reported by Watson, emergency services were called to the Apple Store shortly after 10:00am on Tuesday, forcing around 50 customers and employees to leave the building temporarily while responders acted upon the smoking battery.
Apple hasn’t commented on the evacuation, however it is believed the device is now being examined by the Zurich Forensic Institute to determine the cause of the issue. In a short statement, police said staff sprinkled quartz sand over the device and contained smoke by switching on the ventilation.
At the same time, there was a slight build-up of smoke, which led to around 50 customers and employees having to leave the business temporarily.” – The staff responded well and correctly. It sprinkled quartz sand over the overheated battery so that the smoke could be contained and sucked out after switching on the ventilation.
News source 20min.ch claim to of obtained an image of the burnt device.