Apple updates HomePod software with new Intercom support
Apple has released a software update for the HomePod alongside iOS 14.1, which adds support for the newly announced Intercom feature for the HomePod and HomePod mini.
Intercom allows users to quickly send voice messages to other HomePods around the home. The Intercom feature also works with iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and CarPlay, so messages can be listened to when out and about.
Today’s new HomePod software update brings an option to add music to alarms to wake up to a favorite song or playlist from Apple Music, as well as fixes an issue where stereo pairs can sometimes play out of sync, Siri improvements, and more.
Apple says: “Software version 14.1 includes support for HomePod mini and new Siri and Intercom features. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.”
– Setup and automatically transfer your Apple ID, Apple Music, Siri and Wi-Fi settings to HomePod mini
– Siri suggestions appear in Maps when you ask HomePod for information about a location
– Web search requests to HomePod can be sent from HomePod to your iPhone
– Siri can now stop alarms, timers, and media across HomePod speakers
– Voice recognition support for Podcasts for multiple users in the home
– Ask HomePod to make announcements to other HomePod speakers throughout your home
– Intercom to all HomePod speakers
– Intercom to a HomePod in a specific room or zone
Other improvements and fixes
– Add music to your alarms and wake up to your personal song, playlist, or radio station from Apple Music
– Fixes an issue where stereo pairs can sometimes play out of sync
– Improves reliability when using Siri to control multiple speakers
– Optimizes Siri performance