Apple releases iOS 13.5, adding various new features and improvements
Apple has officially released iOS 13.5 and iPadOS 13.5, bringing a variety of new features and improvements to iPhone and iPad, including a tweak that makes it easier to unlock your device when wearing a face mask, the ability to share Apple Music songs to Facebook and Instagram Stories, and more.
One of the major new features arriving with iOS 13.5 is the release of Apple’s new COVID-19 Exposure Notification API. It enables contact tracing apps from public health authorities to be released to alert users when they have come into contact with somebody who has reported experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or a positive diagnosis.
Another new health-related feature available now with the update for users in the US gives the option to automatically share a their Medical ID with dispatchers during an emergency call, providing call handlers information such as allergies, language, and medical conditions.
iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.
You can see Apple’s official list of iOS 13.5 features below…
Face ID and Passcode
- Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
- Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
- Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID
- Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
- Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
- Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements
- Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
- Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load